• 1

    Blatière V: Ingrown nails or onychocryptosis. Presse Med 43: 1230, 2014.

    • Crossref
    • Web of Science
    • Search Google Scholar
    • Export Citation
  • 2

    Eekhof JA, Van Wijk B, Knuistingh Neven A, et al: Interventions for ingrowing toenails. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 4: CD001541, 2012.

    • Crossref
    • PubMed
    • Web of Science
    • Search Google Scholar
    • Export Citation
  • 3

    Kim JY, Park JS: Treatment of symptomatic incurved toenail with a new device. Foot Ankle Int 30: 1083, 2009.

    • Crossref
    • PubMed
    • Web of Science
    • Search Google Scholar
    • Export Citation
  • 4

    Kim CR, Jung MY, Lee DY: Letter: treatment of ingrown toenail with a novel instrument. Dermatol Surg 37: 1550, 2011.

  • 5

    Park SW, Park JH, Lee JH, et al: Treatment of ingrown nail with a special device composed of shape-memory alloy. J Dermatol 41: 292, 2014.

    • Crossref
    • PubMed
    • Web of Science
    • Search Google Scholar
    • Export Citation
  • 6

    Ishibashi M, Tabata N, Suetake T, et al: A simple method to treat an ingrowing toenail with a shape-memory alloy device. J Dermatolog Treat 19: 291, 2008.

  • 7

    Yang BH, Bang CY, Byun JW, et al: A case of pincer nail treated using a shape-memory alloy. Dermatol Surg 37: 1536, 2011.

    • Crossref
    • PubMed
    • Web of Science
    • Search Google Scholar
    • Export Citation
  • 8

    Heifetz CJ. Ingrown toenail: a clinical study. Am J Sug 38: 298, 1937.

  • 9

    Kose O, Guler F, Gurcan S, et al: Cosmetic results of wedge resection of nail matrix (Winograd technique) in the treatment of ingrown toenail. Foot Ankle Spec 5: 241, 2012.

    • Crossref
    • PubMed
    • Search Google Scholar
    • Export Citation
  • 10

    Erdogan FG, Erdogan G: Long-term results of nail brace application in diabetic patients with ingrown nails. Dermatol Surg 34: 84, 2008.

    • Crossref
    • PubMed
    • Web of Science
    • Search Google Scholar
    • Export Citation
  • 11

    Kim JY, Park SY, Jin SP, et al: Quick and easy correction of a symptomatic pincer nail using a shape memory alloy device. Dermatol Surg 39: 1520, 2013.

    • PubMed
    • Web of Science
    • Search Google Scholar
    • Export Citation

Treatment of Ingrown Toenail with a Shape Memory Alloy Device

Hasan Onur Arik Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Yozgat State Hospital, Yozgat, Turkey.

Search for other papers by Hasan Onur Arik in
Current site
Google Scholar
PubMed
Close
 MD
,
Mehmet Arican Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Yozgat State Hospital, Yozgat, Turkey.

Search for other papers by Mehmet Arican in
Current site
Google Scholar
PubMed
Close
 MD
,
Volkan Gunes Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Rize Kackar State Hospital, Rize, Turkey.

Search for other papers by Volkan Gunes in
Current site
Google Scholar
PubMed
Close
 MD
, and
Ozkan Kose

Search for other papers by Ozkan Kose in
Current site
Google Scholar
PubMed
Close
 MD, MSc, FEBOT
Restricted access

Background: We sought to report the clinical results of a new conservative treatment modality that uses a shape memory alloy device in patients with ingrown toenail.

Methods: A retrospective review was performed on 41 patients with ingrown toenail treated with the K-D device (S&C Biotech, Seoul, South Korea) between April 2013 and July 2014. Recurrence rate, cosmetic results, pain during the treatment period, and patient satisfaction were the major outcome measures.

Results: Patients were followed for at least 6 months (mean ± SD, 8.6 ± 2.1 months; range, 6–12 months). Recurrence was seen in eight patients (19.5%). Mean time to recurrence was 6.2 months (range, 3–10 months). Thirty-one patients (75.6%) were satisfied with the treatment. Thirty-five patients (85.4%) rated the application and treatment period as painless, and the remaining six (14.6%) noted pain particularly during shoe wearing. Thirty-one patients (75.6%) rated the cosmetic results as “excellent,” four (9.8%) as “acceptable,” and six (14.6%) as “poor.” Satisfaction with the treatment, the cosmetic results, and pain were significantly worse in patients with recurrence (P = .0001 for all). All of the patients returned to their work immediately after application of the device. No complications occurred.

Conclusions: The K-D device is a safe and effective treatment method for ingrown toenail. Although the recurrence rate is higher than for surgical treatment methods, the K-D device is a practical and painless method that provides immediate return to work and daily activities and excellent or acceptable cosmesis in most patients.

Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Antalya Education and Research Hospital, Antalya, Turkey.

Corresponding author: Hasan Onur Arik, Department of Orthopaedics and Traumatology, Yozgat State Hospital, Centrum/Yozgat City, Yozgat, 66000, Turkey. (E-mail: dr_hasanarik@yahoo.com)